Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Teachers: They Make it or Break it


I've learned that there are many positive and negative aspects that come along with school. Homework: Negative. Grades: Negative. Tests: Negative. Actually, that's a lot of negatives. But over the years, teachers have sometimes turned out to be a positive.

I have taken countless classes, such as science and math classes, knowing that I was going to hate it. I'm not a mathematically smart person, so those classes have always been a challenge for me. But what I have learned that makes all the difference is teachers. For example, in my anatomy class junior year of high school I had to memorize basically the entire body. But my teacher made it interesting. He played us videos and brought in cool demonstrations and made jokes about the things normal high-schoolers would find funny. He made the class FUN. Which is what a lot of classes lack these days. I remember having my history class right before my anatomy class. Now, my history teacher talked in monotone and read from the book the entire class. Interesting? Not exactly. So I found myself checking my watch basically every other second, counting down until I actually got to go to my "fun" class. And I know that if it wasn't for that teacher I had, I would have despised that class.

But that theory also goes the other way. I have always been more of an English girl. I don't mind writing papers and it just comes easier for me than finding the derivative of an equation. But some of the English teachers I have had make me want to rip all my papers to pieces and throw them out the window. Classes I expected to be fun and enjoyable turned out to be complete torture. And it sucks.

The worst is hearing your friends rant and rave about a class that you are in, but that you both have different teachers for. They say, "OMG this class is amazing! The teacher is so totally chill and makes it so interesting!" And then there's me stuck with the teacher who could care less about his/her students and speaks in monotone 24/7.

But teachers have so much power, especially in high school. One class, because of the professor, can cause someone to pick a path that they want to follow in college and even get a job in. It just goes to show that teachers really have the power to make it or break for the students out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home