Friday, March 14, 2008

A Depersonalized Generation


Recently in one of my classes we started to talk about the negative aspects that the technology has created for our generation. And of the biggest disadvantages, I think that the most interesting one would be how "depersonalized" our generation has become. There are less and less face to face conversations and coffee dates and random get togethers. People don't even call each other on the phone as much to talk anymore as they used to.

Why? Because we have email. We have AOL Instant Messenger. We have texting. None of which require people to actually communicate with each other on a deeper level. Conversations that would usually constitute for at least a phone call have now been reduced to a text.

For example, recently a friend of mine was having trouble with her best friend. They were having difficulty talking about their issues with each other. And instead of sitting down and talking about it together, they addressed the problems through a texting conversation. I didn't exactly think it was the best of ideas, but apparently they thought it was. But it just goes to show that if something as serious as that can be talked about through texting, then what can't?

Sure, it's "easier." You don't have to deal with awkwardness. But when you recieve a text or an email, its hard to interpret how exactly a person is relying the words to you. Are they being sarcastic? Are they trying to funny? Or are they serious? You can never really tell. So one message can be interpreted many different ways because you don't know the tone of voice a person is using. But I've seen plenty of texts gone wrong and more chaos happen because someone couldn't pick up the phone to call someone to say something.

I think it is sad to say that our generation has come to this certain point. But I am definitely guilty of contributing to it. I talk more through texting than on the phone. I'm not a phone person so it is definitely easier and more convenient to send people texts about questions I have. And since I'm surrounded by technology every day, why not just send out a quick email to say something to someone instead of having to arrange a time to meet them and talk about it in person?

Is this something that is going to continue in the generations to come? Is it a problem that is going to get worse? Are coffee dates and get-togethers going to become completely obsolete because we have technology to communicate everything?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too old to text, but I see what you are talking about with just e-mail. My younger sister is just an e-mailer; she hardly ever gets on the phone. She's always clicking away on the keyboard. Now my twin sister and I are more into phone calls. We talk on the phone once or twice a week, and the calls usually last at least a half hour. I'm closer to my twin, and it's not just because we are the same age and had the same experiences growing up together. There's just something about phone calls that are more personal, with voice intonation, real laughter as opposed to lol, So I agree with your concerns about how impersonal technology is making relationships. It's faster, we are busier, but we are losing something in the bargain.

March 16, 2008 at 1:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home