Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Stupid Boys?


Recently I heard about an accident that occurred in the town of Dripping Springs Texas. These three boys had been fooling around. They were surfing on the top of the cars and driving down the hills. Two of the boys who had been "surfing" had fallen off the car and one had hit his head and died.

The boy driving the car was charged with manslaughter.

I seem to think that this is fair punishment for the boy driving but others whom I have talked to about this issue think that it is unfair that he has been charged with this. They say that he is the one who climbed up on the car so his consequence for that is unfortunately his death.

But couldn't that have been prevented? I sure think it could have. I think the boy driving the car had all the power in his hands. He was the one who went along with the act. He was the one who put the car into drive and drove 35 mph down a rocky road, knowing that there were two boys standing on top of his car that could at any moment fall off.

So I think, by all means, that it is completely fair to charge this boy with manslaughter. Manslaughter is defined as "recklessly causing the death of another." And I think that is exactly what he did.

To me it's bizarre to think that this "car surfing" is somewhat of a new rage among teens today. There have been other reported cases of deaths due to this new trend in Arizona and Kentucky. Don't people realize the danger involved in this?

And am I wrong to think that this boy should be charged with manslaughter? Am I wrong to think that he is responsible for causing the death of another?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home